Sunday, July 1, 2012

Remote Monitoring an MDT Deployment

Although I’ve been using MDT for years, incredibly I’ve just put my MDT server available on the network 2 weeks ago!
This happened for the simple reason that over the years our MDT server, and the rest of our lab, was really near our team so…there was no really a need to access the server from my confortable workplace.

Well, but things change…
Starting Monday, we are moving to a new place and our lab it’s going way from us, 1 floor below. So, since the server has two NICs, one was configured to server MDT deployments (giving DHCP, etc,) and the other one to remote access.

Some time ago I saw a great article at The Deployment Guys blog written by Daniel Oxley. He made up an HTA script that gives me now a great flexibility and it’s really a time saver because now that the lab it’s away, I don’t need to go a lot of times to the 1st floor to see if the deployment it’s done.
The script uses a MDT property called EventShare that basically indicates the task sequence where it should write it’s events. In this case, to a UNC share path.

For me the best of this HTA it’s the simplicity to configure and use. It’s really really simple and really, it’s a wonderful time saver for everyone.

Take a look to the script and know more about Daniel Oxley at:
The Deployment Guys - Simple Deployment Monitoring

No comments:

Post a Comment