Thursday, March 21, 2013

Skydrive on Windows PCs



In the last 2 or 3 years, I've been an huge fan of cloud computing and all the benefits that come with it.
I can now change from my laptop,to my desktop or my smartphone and get access to all my information, favorites and specially...my documents.

Microsoft's SkyDrive it's an excellent cloud application that provides access to all the information and it's integrated on the Microsoft Live ecosystem.

This is my main repository (25GB) and my hard drive it's just used to temporary work. This allow me to have a very complete experience of cloud computing and work everywhere since I've a browser.

So, let's focus a little bit on some tips for using Microsoft SkyDrive:

Windows 8 App
Although I'm not a huge fan (for now) of Windows 8 Apps, the SkyDrive App it's a nice one, for some features like photo viewing, quick edit documents, etc.



For example, you can change your Windows 8 lock screen image, with one that you have on your Skydrive.
To do this:

  • Go to PC Settings
  • Personalize
  • Browse
  • On the drop down list, select SkyDrive
  • Choose your image, and it's done
As simple as that.

Redirect Your Desktop to SkyDrive
This makes the experience of cloud computing even better.
Imagine you're working on something on your desktop, or you have a lot of shortcuts there, and you want to access them easily on any computer or laptop.

Then, follow this:
  • Go to your user folder (usually C:\Users\username)
  • Right-click on it and select Properties
  • Select Location tab
  • Move the folder to your SkyDrive
Done.


User the SkyDrive for Windows Application
Although the Windows 8 App it's fine at some level, the SkyDrive for Windows can give you a lot more flexibility since you'll see and access your file more easily from the Windows Explorer menus.


You can download it here:




No comments:

Post a Comment