Thursday, August 19, 2010

WDS Error - “Windows cannot install required files (…)”– Error code: 0x80070570 – Workaround

While I’m writing this post I’m just thinking that this really may help someone like it helped me last week.

First things first:

.: Microsoft it’s over this one because are a lots of clients complaining about it
.: This is not a solution but a workaround until Microsoft folks don’t find a real solution
.: I tested this solution over 3 different machines
.: Don’t know why but I’ve installed a new machine on VMware ESX and this problem didn’t happened
.: This happened to me when I’ve created a new machine and also when I deleted previous image from a WDS image group

Now…this is the scenario:

You install a brand new machine with Windows Deployment Services, you copy a wim file from another machine, not directly from RemoteInstall folder but from DeploymentShare\Captures for example, and when you try to deploy the image from the new machine you get an error like this one:

mlnua0

No matter what you do, you always get this error.

Now, the really strange thing here is that supposedly the wim file should contain every single file you need to do the deployment.

The workaround:

I’ve managed to workaround this issue using a simple solution.
I’ve copied the file Res.RWM located on every imagegroup, on a working machine to the new machine. This file exists at RemoteInstall\Images\ImageGroupName and it’s like an index file of all images that were published on the WDS.

What really intrigues me is that on a new machine the index just contains information about the first image you’ve put there, but well…that’s not enough.

Why? This is what Microsoft is investigating… Smile

 

Just hope this helps everyone that’s getting crazy about this error.
As soon as I get any more info/solution about this, I’ll post it here.

12 comments:

  1. I get this error after installing updates

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment Microsoft support couldn't gave us any solution for this issue.

    In my opinion this just can be a bug on WDS, in the way they publish images onto WDS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you explain this part further please? what do you mean on a 'working' machine and 'new' machine?

    "I’ve copied the file Res.RWM located on every imagegroup, on a working machine to the new machine"

    Do I just do the following?

    1 - Create new image group
    2 - Import new wim
    3 - use the created RES.RWM file in place of all others?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to just reply today but this last few week were just a complete stress.

    Now...answering to your questions:

    .: Working machine = a machine where WDS it's working as expected.

    .: New machine = machine where WDS it's not working as expected.

    .: Yes exactly that what I've successfuly done. Remember, the RES.RWM should be copied from the working machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. but what if I have only one machine, I mean only one WDS server.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...that's new to me :(

    But let me see if I can help you:
    1. Have you always had just one WDS Server?
    2. Do you have more than one image?
    2.1 If so, are all the images published on the WDS?

    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get this error when deploying to one computer. The same image will happily deploy to other computers.
    I've tried exporting the WIM to a USB disk and installing from there - same error.
    I've tried exporting the WIM and importing it back into a new image group - same error.
    Help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joel,

    First of all sorry for the so late feedback...
    Can you try to change that computer hard drive? Just to check if the issue can be directly related to the computer itself of the kind of confusion on your WDS.

    Best Regards and again, sorry for the later response,
    Diogo Sousa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this problem and unchecking 'Enable unattended installation' on the Client tab in the WDS server Properties fixed the issue. So the problem must have been from the unattended file.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hummm interesting...didn't thought about that! :) Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great, thanks! With me it was the hint with the Res.RWM.
    I published my finished image in the general Windows 10 image group and got the error message shown above during installation.
    After I published the image in a new image group, with a new Res.RWM only for this group, the installation was successful.

    ReplyDelete