Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stallman Declarations on Steve Jobs Death

When freedom is confused with fundamentalism…

Like usual, I’m getting back to old news I haven’t read…
Usually I don’t post nothing about it, unless I get really interested or, like in this case, I get “stunned”.
At 6th October 2011 in a very unpleasant comment after Steve Jobs death, Richard Stallman stated that:
”Nobody deserves to have to die (…). But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence (…)”

Well, I had to read this twice because really couldn’t believe that the, so called open source guru, wrote something like this.
For you to get the all picture here’s the complete text from the official Stallman website:

"Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.
As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone."
Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.
Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective."

Many years will pass and I sincerely believe I will never understand Stallman and open source “fanatics”.
If what they defend it’s free choice, why to attack examples like Steve Jobs?
People could buy any tablet with Android, rootkit it and do what they want. But…and here’s the bull's-eye word…they’ve choose an Apple iPad or an iPhone, etc.

Who knows me personally knows that I’m not the biggest fun of Apple products but I don’t need to attack Apple, just need to choose other solution.
When people like Stallman criticizes a person for malign influence, well…what’s worst?
To give, consumers the opportunity to choose to buy an Apple product or who criticizes who sell it?

1 comment:

  1. I would say it is not about attacking the lack of freedom of choice but the way Jobs did business, merchantilizing everything, which is the oposite of what Mr. Stallman is wishing to acomplish.

    ReplyDelete