Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer. [RESOLVED]!

So, I’ve started to update my Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 images at work when I noticed something was wrong.

After the machine sysprep and MDT upload it to the server, I’ve published the image on my WDS for testing and there’s something wrong when deploying the newly create image to the final machine.
The image it’s deployed, the OOBE runs and…error message “Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt resume configuration, restart the computer.”

Google, google, google and…nothing until an Social TechNet article about it!
So it seems that some application I’ve installed on the new image, adds a registry key superior to 8KB and…that caused the issue.

Thankfully there’s a Microsoft Hotfix. Downloaded it, applied to MDT and it’s everything working again!

Here’s the hotfix website*:
Microsoft Hotfix – KB981542

*A note here about the download: I needed x86 and x64 versions of this hotfix and for some reason Internet Explorer 9 just showed me the x64 version (maybe because of my system) so I’ve managed to download it with Google Chrome

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know this is a few years late but I seriously need help with this! I've had the same issue and downloaded the hotfix but when am I supposed to run it? I mean I can't run it after the error has occured because I can't boot the OS and it won't let me run it before the error has occured..hope you can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and greetings from Portugal,

    Sorry for the late response.
    Well, your right about the "late time" because I really can't remember this one, but from what I've wrote and because I went right now to my WDS/MDT I believe the hotfix must be added to the Packages folder on MDT.

    Feel free to ask anything else! :)

    ReplyDelete